Thursday, September 11, 2014

September 11th

Anniversaries are a reminder of important events and today is no different.  Thirteen years ago the world was stunned by the attacks on the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and the crash of Flight 93.  On the day that those attacks occurred I, as well as the entire company I worked for watched in horror as the attacks happened and as the buildings fell.  I was devastated, I was angry, and I was full of hate.  On my way home that night I prayed.  I prayed for the men, women and children that were killed by the terrorists and then I prayed for justice.  My prayers for those lost in the attacks and justice for them and the Nation as a whole were angry, I knew that but then I asked God to forgive the attackers for their actions.  I prayed for them, I prayed that God would have mercy on their souls as well as those that helped perpetrate the actions and those that planned it.

I knew that my hate wasn't something to be proud of, nor was it something God would approve of.  I knew that God could forgive them of their terrible sins so as I thought about my actions and emotions I prayed that He would forgive me too.  I prayed in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and I asked that he would forgive me and that he would remind me every time I would say something terrible about the terrorists, the murderers if you will, and that I would ask for his forgiveness.

Human beings are odd creatures because we know when we do something wrong and we have the ability to remember the event.  I do have those days where the anger about the attacks can become debilitating because of the pent up anger and still to this day I am reminded of my request I did in His name.  I've been watching all of the coverage and programs regarding the events on September 11th this entire week and my anger has been building. 

As I went onto Facebook today I saw all of the tributes I was reminded of those words I prayed thirteen years ago.  Although the words of that prayer have been forgotten, I remember what I prayed for.  I looked through my heart and I asked for forgiveness for my anger and hatred once again and I know that I have been forgiven once again.  I pray that justice has been achieved for all of those that were involved in making this event happen and I pray for mercy from God the Father for each and everyone of them.  I pray for the victims and their families that they can find peace in God and that they know him and seek him in their hour of need.

Thank you Lord for reminding me of this day and thank you for teaching me the truth, love and forgiveness through your son, my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.



No comments:

Post a Comment